- Mongolia has both extremely cold and extremely hot temperatures
- During winter, there are only a couple hours of light each day
- Mongols in the rural areas live mainly on meat, milk and cheese
- Mongols in the rural areas do not usually eat fish and rarely eat fruits and vegetables
- The capital of Mongolia is Ulaanbaatar and it has more modern amenities compared with the rest of the country
- In 1990 Mongolia gained its freedom from the Soviet Union but Russian influences can still be seen
- The major religion in Mongolia is Tibetan Buddhism
- Genghis Khan united the tribes of Mongolia and the Mongol Empire had the most conquered land in history
- The desert in Mongolia is called The Gobi
- A traditional Mongolian dish is called Huushuur and its a fried meat-filled pastry
These are just a few things I learned at this wonderful presentation. I haven't visited Asia yet but it makes me want to plan a trip even more now.
For more information about Cynthia's book on Australia, please visit her website Waltzing Australia.